Instructions to Patients Having Dental Procedures Under Conscious Sedation
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY PRIOR TO YOUR TREATMENT DATE
- Refer to this page until your final pre-operative visit.
- Please arrive 1 hour prior to your appointment time. This allows us time to assess you and provide an oral sedative prior to your treatment.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form prior to your sedation treatment.
- Please bring your Health Card to you appointment.
- Do not bring your car on the day of surgery unless someone else will drive you home.
- You are not permitted to operate a motor vehicle or hazardous machinery for a minimum of 18 hours following the sedation, or longer if drowsiness or dizziness persists.
- YOU MUST ARRANGE TO HAVE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT TO ACCOMPANY YOU HOME AFTER THE SEDATION AND TO CARE FOR YOU AT HOME THE FIRST NIGHT AFTER YOUR TREATMENT.
- Sedation cannot be given unless these conditions are met.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES
- The minimum duration of fasting prior to your appointment:
- 8 hours after a meal that includes meat, fried or fatty foods
- 6 hours after a light meal (toast, clear fluid) or after ingestion of infant formula or non-human milk
- 4 hours after ingestion of breast milk
- 2 hours after ingestion of clear fluids (water, pulp-free fruit juices, carbonated beverages, clear tea or black coffee)
- ***DO NOT CONSUME ALCOHOL 24 HOURS PRIOR TO OR AFTER SURGERY***
- Medications that are regularly used, especially for heart conditions or high blood pressure, should be taken with a sip of water the day of surgery. Discuss this with your dentist.
- It is important to disclose all medical conditions, or drugs used (prescribed or recreational) as this could affect your response to the sedative.
- Prescription medication can be faxed to your pharmacy for faster pick-up after surgery.
- DO NOT TAKE UNPRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- We need easy access to your arm for taking your blood pressure.
- Remove any nail polish prior to your appointment (for monitoring blood oxygen levels)
- Refrain from smoking 24 hours prior to surgery
CHANGE IN HEALTH STATUS
In the event of a change in your health, even minor illness, in the week prior to your operation, please contact us as postponement may be necessary. We require 7 days notice for cancellation or rescheduling of your appointment. There is a non-refundable charge that will apply if notice is not given.